Why You Need A Surrogacy Lawyer
Surrogacy is a big step for your family and your future. With so much at stake, you want trusted guidance and experienced counsel to guide you through your journey from beginning to end.
An experienced attorney can provide you with the answers, representation and support you need during the surrogacy process. At Essig & Evans LLP, we help families and individuals with surrogacy in Ohio, throughout the United States and internationally. Since 1986, we have been assisting clients with a range of family-building needs. Our lawyers can help you understand why you need a legal advocate on your side and advise you on your options.
The Importance Of An Attorney
When you are going through the surrogacy process, either as an intended parent or as a surrogate, it is important for you to have your own independent legal counsel. A lawyer can help you with every aspect of your situation, including:
- Drafting a surrogacy contract
- Seeking a birth order
- Finding a surrogate directly or through a matching company
- Becoming a surrogate
- Protecting your parental rights
What To Look For In A Lawyer
When selecting an attorney to represent you, you should look for:
- Experience: You need an attorney who has extensive, not occasional, experience handling these types of cases and who can tell you what to expect throughout the process.
- Credentials: While an attorney’s affiliation with a credentialing agency is not essential, it can help you assess the attorney’s reputation and experience.
- Knowledge: Before hiring an attorney, ask him or her questions to test their knowledge in the area.
- Reputation: Conduct research about the attorney online or seek a referral from someone you trust.
We have been helping families with surrogacy and family issues for more than two decades. Our firm has developed an in-depth understanding of the process, procedures and the laws regarding surrogacy. One of our partners, Ellen Essig, is a fellow of the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys and the American Academy of Assisted Reproductive Technology Attorneys.