Building Families Through Surrogacy Since 1993
Helping clients in Ohio and Illinois, throughout the U.S. and around the world.
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. FAQ
  4.  » Can I Become The Mother Of My Child If I Use An Egg Donor?

Can I Become The Mother Of My Child If I Use An Egg Donor?

If you are using an egg donor, obtaining an order of parentage establishing you as the mother can be a complex process. You need the help of a skilled and knowledgeable Ohio surrogacy lawyer who guides you through the process and helps you become the legal parent of your child.

Based in Ohio, our team at Essig & Evans LLP can help you establish your parentage and understand your rights when using an egg donor to build your family. Since 1986, our attorneys and staff have been assisting clients with surrogacy and family building needs throughout Ohio, as well as across the country and world.

Guiding Clients Through The Process

In Ohio, no statute sets out the roadmap to establish parentage when the pregnancy is the result of egg donation.

  • However, it is still possible to be named as the mother on the birth certificate or, if you are a single male, to have only your name on the birth certificate.
  • Other statutes and case law that apply to sperm donations and embryo donations can be argued to help establish your rights as a parent.
  • The process for establishing you as the parent varies from county to county in Ohio. Some courts require an intended parent to go through the adoption process, though this is highly unusual. In other county courts, becoming a mother using an egg donor may be a much easier process.
  • We are knowledgeable about Ohio’s laws and procedures of each of Ohio’s 88 counties. We can help you understand the obstacles you are facing and provide advice to help you make informed decisions regarding your surrogacy and your family.

Nationwide And International Representation

With our experience, we are also fluent in the laws that govern surrogacy in other states and countries. Regardless of where you reside or where the child will be born, we can help you understand the laws that may apply in your situation.