Jump to Navigation
Family Building Through ART (Assisted Reproduction Technology) toll free: 1-866-427-4859 | 513-898-3784

International Clients

International Surrogacy

Surrogacy situations involving foreign parents can present certain legal challenges. Securing birth certificates, apostilles and passports can all complicate matters for clients depending upon the country of origin and its applicable laws. I am surrogacy attorney Ellen Essig, and I help Intended Parents throughout the world with their international surrogacy questions.

Building Families through International Surrogacy
Contact Ellen Essig, Attorney & Counselor

Birth Certificates and Social Security Numbers

The process for obtaining a valid birth certificate for a baby born to parents living overseas occurs relatively quickly. The birth certificate may usually be picked up in as little as five business days with special arrangements having been made. Parents may also choose to apply for a child's Social Security number (SSN) which they may do at the hospital or after returning home.


A child born in the United States is automatically considered a United States citizen and therefore eligible to apply for a U.S. passport. However, parents may instead wish to obtain a passport from their native country for their child. This can present complications as each country has their own set of unique legal restrictions regarding the issuance of dual passports.

At a minimum, the country of origin may require a birth certificate with apostille as part of their passport application procedure. According to the Ohio Secretary of State, an apostille "certifies the authenticity of the signature, the capacity in which the person signing the document is serving, and identifies the seal/stamp, which the document bears." In essence, an apostille verifies the authenticity of legal documents submitted for review by a foreign nation. I can help you with this process which will provide you with an apostille within just a few days.

Once parents have certified birth certificates, I can help expedite passport arrangements, providing step-by-step instructions on the application process. This expedited process should have your child's passport in your hands usually 3 to 5 business days after submission.

Dedicated Representation in all International Surrogacy Matters

Because I know that English may not be my client's first language, I will help ensure all required steps are taken on your behalf, working with translators when needed, to be sure clients fully understand the process. No matter where in the world you live, I will find answers for your family.

E-mail has made the whole process easier to coordinate internationally. I will help ensure that all of your concerns about contact with your Surrogate during pregnancy, health insurance, passport and other questions are answered and that the process runs smoothly for you.

Contact Me

Surrogacy procedures vary from country to country and state to state. Contact me online or call 1-866-427-4859 toll-free for more information regarding international surrogacy matters.