The Surrogacy Process in Ohio
Families are created in different ways. For many families and individuals, surrogacy offers the best opportunity to become a parent.
I am Ellen Essig, an Ohio surrogacy attorney and counselor. From my office in Cincinnati, I represent parents and surrogates across the country and around the world successfully navigate the surrogacy process.
Building Families through Surrogacy
Contact Ellen Essig, Attorney & Counselor
Types of Surrogacy
There are two types of surrogacy: traditional surrogacy and gestational surrogacy. With traditional surrogacy, there are far fewer medical concerns. The medical process can also be less expensive than gestational surrogacy. However, the legal concerns are greater. I can protect your interests in securing the necessary orders and protecting your rights.
On its face, gestational surrogacy can appear to be more complicated than traditional surrogacy, but there are actually far fewer legal obstacles with gestational surrogacy. Still, there are interests that will require protection.
No matter the type of surrogacy you choose, it is important to have a skilled surrogacy attorney who can help guide you through the process and handle every aspect of your surrogacy, including:
- Contracts : Before pregnancy, you need to make sure that your rights are protected by having a fair and well-drafted contract.
- Birth orders : No matter where you live, I can help you through the challenges you may face in obtaining a birth certificate naming you as the parents of your child.
- Adoption : At my law firm, I help clients involved with surrogacy related adoptions if required by state law, to establish parentage when using an egg donor, and with traditional adoptions such as interstate adoptions.
- Assisted reproductive technology : While it was once an unknown process, surrogacy and the use of Assisted Reproductive Technology is now widely accepted.
- Alternative dispute resolution (ADR) : Mediation and arbitration are alternative forms of dispute resolution that can help you resolve issues with your surrogate outside of the courtroom process. It is also a valuable tool should questions arise during pregnancy. I can explain your ADR options and help you reach a mutually beneficial agreement with the other party.
- Avoiding scams : I can help you learn how to avoid surrogacy or egg donation scams.
Experienced Attorney Helping People Through Surrogacy
I help clients through the surrogacy process, including:
- Intended parents : If you have found a surrogate to gestate your child, I will protect your parental rights and help you through the surrogacy process.
- Surrogates and Carriers : Whether you know the intended parents personally or you found them through a third party such as a facilitator or agency and are just getting to know them, it is important to protect your rights as a surrogate.
- Same-sex and single parents : Not every family is the same and some families face additional challenges while building their families. I help nontraditional families like single parents and same-sex couples become parents through surrogacy.
- International clients : In addition to helping clients in Ohio, the Midwest, and across the United States, I have represented international clients from Australia, Switzerland, Japan, Turkey, France, Canada, Italy, Lebanon, Great Britain, Germany, Sweden, Israel, and other countries across the globe where surrogacy laws are not favorable. I can help you with all your legal concerns no matter where the birth will occur by coordinating your legal needs.
Contact a Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus International Surrogacy Lawyer
Whether you are a surrogate or a parent, you more than likely have questions about what you can expect. I can answer your questions and help you secure your interests and protect your rights. Call me at 1-866-427-4859 toll free or contact me online to learn more about my services.